Ghent Veterinary Hospital and Granby Veterinary Hospital are the only locally owned veterinary establishments in Norfolk, and there are very few remaining throughout the 757. Most veterinary service providers in the area, including urgent and emergency care, are now owned by venture capital and/or corporate consolidators.
An article by the Observer.
A privately owned veterinary hospital often provides the following advantages:
- Clinical freedom. Privately owned veterinarians have more clinical freedom than corporate veterinarians. This means that they can recommend the best course of treatment for your pet without having to worry about corporate quotas or sales targets.
- Support the local economy. When you shop at a locally owned business, you are helping to keep money in your community. Locally owned businesses are more likely to spend their profits locally, which creates jobs and supports other businesses in the area.
- Get better customer service. Locally owned businesses are often more invested in their customers. They are more likely to take the time to get to know you and your needs, and they are more likely to go the extra mile to make you happy.
- Find unique products and services. Locally owned businesses often offer unique products and services that you won't find anywhere else. This is because they are not beholden to the same corporate mandates as large chain stores. They can be more creative and innovative, and they can offer products and services that are tailored to your specific needs.
- Reduce your environmental impact. Buying locally reduces the need to transport goods long distances, which saves energy and reduces pollution. It also supports sustainable practices, as local businesses are more likely to source their products and services from other local businesses.